A young man, named only as P.G., has been sentenced to eight years in prison and 74 lashes for allegedly participating in the November 2019 uprisings.
In an interview with the Rouydad24 news agency, his father strongly denied the charges and gave more information about his son’s arrest and the legal proceedings surrounding his case.
The father, a taxi driver, had been coming home from work in November when he saw that a branch of the Parsian Bank located just 100 meters from their house had been burned but was extinguished.
According to information obtained by the Iranian opposition PMOI/MEK, during the first few days of the uprising, security forces killed at least 1,500 protesters and made more than 12,000 arrests.#Iran#HumanRightshttps://t.co/THtBwLQjkX
— People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) (@Mojahedineng) June 3, 2020
He told his family and his son went out to look, alongside many others from their street. Some people, including P.G., went to a store several streets away. There, he is supposed to have stolen a chocolate bar.
A week later, security agents arrested P.G. at his home and took his motorbike, saying that he’d been involved in an armed robbery. No one would give his family any answers regarding his whereabouts for two days, until P.G. called and said he was being held in the Great Tehran Penitentiary, after initially being taken to an Intelligence Ministry jail.
His father said: “I am a taxi driver. My son worked in a carpenter shop. Neither I nor he is political… We did not afford to hire a lawyer. I am following up on his case on my own. My wife and I used to go to prison early in the morning to be able to do something for our son. At the time, the prison was crowded and many people had been arrested. Prison authorities did not answer our inquiries. Now, after they have issued an 8-year sentence for my son, a lawyer has accepted to defend him free of charge and follow up on his case.”
#Iran Regime’s Interior Minister Admits to Killing Protesters During #IranProtests, International Community Must Intervene.
Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli, on Saturday, announced , between 200 and 255 people lost their lives during the nationwide Iran protests.https://t.co/S5itxU8C69
— NCRI-FAC (@iran_policy) June 1, 2020
He was held for 75 days – including four or five days of solitary confinement – before being released on bail for 600 million tomans, which his family had to borrow to pay for, along with not paying their rent for three months. The whole family is in shock.
His father said: “My son had just got married and his wife is very concerned. She does not know what to do if her husband goes to jail. We don’t know what to do. I am very concerned about his situation and his marriage. If he goes to prison for eight years, then he has to divorce his wife.”
Reuters report on December 23, 2019, about the deadly crackdown on November nationwide protests in Iran the death toll of 1500 that was announced by the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI / MEK Iran) on December 15, 2019.
Reuters pointed out the direct role of the Iranian regime’s Ali Khamenei in the crackdown of the nationwide protests.
Reuters reported that “after days of protests across Iran, Ali Khamenei appeared impatient. Gathering his top security and government officials together, he issued an order: Do whatever it takes to stop them.”