A global Muslim body on Thursday condemned the attacks on Saudi missions in Iran earlier this month and denounced the Iranian regime’s regional ‘interference’.
Foreign ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, in a statement, said it ‘condemns the aggressions against the missions of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Tehran and Mashhad’.
The statement followed an extraordinary meeting requested by Saudi Arabia after protesters in Iran burned Riyadh’s embassy in Tehran and a consulate in the second city of Mashhad.
Such ‘aggressions’ contravene international law as well as the OIC charter, said the communique, which member state Iran rejected.
Meanwhile in an interview published Friday, the Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said about the statement: “The resolution was very clear, condemning what had happened at the Saudi Embassy in Tehran and its consulate in Mashhad. It held Iran responsible and condemned its support for terrorism. The position of these countries was clear and strong against Iran’s aggression …”
Al-Jubeir said the Iranian regime has behaved in this manner for more than 35 years.
The Saudi foreign Minister said: “The message has been sent to Tehran clearly by the GCC countries, Arab League and now from the Islamic community that this is enough.”
He said that instead of apologizing for the attacks on Saudi diplomatic missions, the leaders of the Iranian regime must change their government’s policies, become good neighbors, stop supporting militant groups, desist from assassinating people and not harbor terrorists.