The network of activists in Iran called the Iranian Resistance Units, part of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI / MEK Iran), has been organizing commemoration activities across Iran to mark the anniversary of the slaughter of 30,000 MEK political prisoners in 1988.
Nearly 10 years after the Iranian Revolution, Ruhollah Khomeini ordered the slaughter of 30,000 MEK political prisoners in an attempt to wipe the organization out. This was the 1988 massacre. Resistance units have been active in writing slogans and messages in many Iranian cities to commemorate the massacre and call for the perpetrators to face trial.
Some of the many slogans used included:
- “The 1988 massacre, the greatest unpunished crime against humanity,”
- “We have called for the prosecution of the masterminds and perpetrators of the 1988 massacre, this great crime against humanity,”
- “The blood of the martyrs of the 1988 massacre gives rise to uprisings in Iran,”
- “The sacred blood of those martyrs of 1988 gives rise to rebellious youths who are motivated and inspired by it,”
- “We will neither forgive nor forget the 1988 massacre of political prisoners,”
- “Down with the principle of the Supreme Leader’s rule,”
- “Hail to Massoud Rajavi, down with Khamenei.”
On Jul 30th eight suppressive centers were targeted by Iranian youth. These included:
- a Morality Police base in Tehran;
- a Basij base in Hormozgan;
- looting centers in Zahedan, including financial institutions used by Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei and Judiciary Chief, Ebrahim Raisi;
- the torching of banners showing former Quds Force Commander, Qassem Soleimani;
- two centers of fundamentalist propaganda torched in Mashhad;
97 cities across Iran were targeted in July by the Resistance Units. These activities coincided with the annual summit, which this time was held in Albania, the “Free Iran Global Summit”. This was attended by 3,000 members of the MEK who took part in this year’s online event from 30,000 locations, including Iran.