The Iranian diaspora in Germany and supporters of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (MEK Iran) have written to Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, to urge her and the German Bundestag to condemn the regime’s criminal management of the coronavirus epidemic in Iran.
The MEK Iran announced that to this date, the coronavirus has claimed the lives of more than 19,500 Iranians. MEK Iran supporters also urged the German government and the international community to take immediate steps to help the Iranian people.
Appeal to Dr. Merkel, the federal government and members of the German Bundestag
According to the latest reliable information, as of Friday, April 3, 2020, 16,800 of our compatriots in 238 cities have died from coronavirus infection. Among them, more than 1,900 people in the capital Tehran, which, with its 9 million inhabitants, is facing a major humanitarian crisis. While the official deaths would be 3,294, the World Health Organization estimates that number at one-fifth of the reality.
The main cause of the spread of the virus and the high number of deaths among our compatriots is not due to the lack of medical equipment, specialized personnel, or hospital beds, but to the harmful policies of the ruling dictatorship in Iran under Khamenei and Rohani. Instead of announcing the virus epidemic in Iran, alerting the public, and calling on the healthcare system to prepare, the spread of the virus was deliberately kept secret at the start of the crisis. The regime denied the existence of infected people and then tried to minimize the crisis.
Instead of hiring responsible specialists and experts to manage and control the crisis, the coronavirus was presented as a conspiracy by foreign powers. The regime’s management of this deadly crisis is devoid of any consideration for the health of the Iranian people and their human rights (…)
The association of Iranian communities in Germany (allied with the Mujahedin-e Khalq), which brings together some 70 Iranian associations, associations of women, athletes, and artists, calls on you to:
– Condemn the regime’s criminal management of the coronavirus crisis and its cover-ups about the number of dead and the number of people infected.
– Condemn the expulsion of “Doctors Without Borders” from Iran on the instruction of Khamenei. This inhumane act is intended to continue to hide the true number of deaths and infections.
– Pressure the Iranian regime to accept international aid under the supervision of the World Health Organization and prevent a humanitarian disaster in our country.
– Support Amnesty International’s call and pressure the Iranian regime to release tens of thousands of prisoners, including political prisoners.
– Refrain from any financial aid to the plan. Rest assured that no euro of financial aid will go to the Iranian people. The money will continue to be used for internal repression and for terrorism and regional expansion of the Islamist regime. Help the people of Iran under the supervision of the United Nations and the World Health Organization. The Iranian people need your urgent help!
Association of Iranian Communities in Germany.