Stop Fundamentalism, April 7, 2011 – The secretariat of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, the Iranian Opposition released a statement today, warning about an imminent attack on Camp Ashraf by Nuri al-Maliki forces.
The statement says that over 65 Iraqi personnel carriers have entered Ashraf today carrying new forces.
Ashraf is an unarmed camp occupied by 3400 members of the Mujahedin organization (PMOI/MEK) which is the main Iranian opposition movement. The group disarmed after the Iraq war and went under the protection of the US forces.
The residents of the camp later received “Protected Persons” status under the Fourth Geneva Convention According to which any attack on or harassment of such persons is considered a war crime.
Since 2009 Americans released the protection of the camp to Iraqi forces. But Iraqi forces attacked the camp on July 2009 killing 11 people.
Many international human rights organization condemned the attack including Amnesty International. Since the attack Iraqi forces have continued to harass and intimidate the residents.
Earlier in another statement NCRI complained regarding 30 armoured vehicles that had occupied the north part of the camp.
The current mobilization of Iraqi forces into the camp takes place at the same time as the US Defence Secretary, Robert Gates is visiting Iraq.
Group says many Iraqi Generals are at the scene coordinating the mobilization.
NCRI statement stated that Nuri al-Maliki is under orders from Iranian regime to attack and destroy Iran’s main opposition movement.
In this statement, the Iranian Resistance called on Secretary of State Hilary Clinton to immediately intervene to remove the occupying Iraqi forces from Camp Ashraf and prevent a new human tragedy.
Related Link: Ashraf Attack 2011