Stop Fundamentalism, 27 June 2011 – The Diyala province governor said that a security force, comprised of army and police personnel, is preparing for a new operation against Camp Ashraf under the supervision of the prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, reported the Iranian state-run news agency Fars, Monday.
According to Fars, Javad Al-Tamimi, Diyala’s provincial governor told Al-Motour daily that the operation is in preliminary stages but is imminent.
Iraqi forces assaulted the Iranian refugee camp, Camp Ashraf, situated north of Baghdad, last April killing 36 residents.
The Iranian resistance announced following the incident that the assault was carried out at the behest of the Iranian Ayatollahs in an attempt to eliminate the Iranian regime’s main opposition movement.
Earlier on Saturday, June 25, Mullah Moslehi, the Iranian mullahs’ minister of intelligence, told Mehr news agency that measures carried out by the Iraqi government and forces against Camp Ashraf residents have been fully planned and engineered by the religious government ruling Iran aimed at “annihilation of regime’s opposition.”
“In order to expedite the dissolution of the Monafeqin terrorist group (a name used by the Iranian regime to refer to the PMOI), the intelligence system has plans in its agenda and is taking measures,” said Moslehi to Mehr. “In this regard, we have had talks in Iraq with Iraqi authorities in order to clarify the situation of Ashraf garrison,” he added.
On the same day, on a visit to Tehran, Jalal Talabani, Iraq’s President told IRNA news agency that Iran and Iraq have formed a joint committee with International Committee of Red Cross to shutdown Camp Ashraf. The ICRC denied participation in this committee.
In a press release on 27 June 2011, the ICRC announced that “The ICRC has taken note of the Iraqi authorities’ commitment not to transfer Camp Ashraf residents to their country of origin against their will.”